Re: Shutting down Oracle under VMS

From: Danny Stimpson <stimpson_at_selway.umt.edu>
Date: 1996/03/18

Richard Armstrong <richard_at_juno.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Can anyone suggest a reliable way of automatically shutting down Oracle
>7.1 during a VMS shutdown ?
>
>The VMS SYSTEM user can't perform privileged Oracle operations so
>calling the Oracle shutdown scripts from the VMS site specific shutdown
>script doesn't work. We get round this during VMS startup by submitting
>the Oracle startup script to a batch queue with the /USER=ORACLE
>qualifier. However, by the time the site specific shutdown script runs,
>all of the batch queues have been shut down so this trick is no good.
>
>We have tried using a SET UIC command in the Oracle shutdown script but
>this won't work either. Oracle support have suggested modifying the DEC
>supplied VMS shutdown script but this seems a bit drastic !
>
>Does anyone know whether Oracle will shut down in a controlled manner if
>we simply leave VMS to kill off Oracle's processes during shut down.
>(i.e. will it commit uncommitted data and flush data in the SGA to
>disk).
>
>Any comments will be gratefully received.
>--
>Richard Armstrong

I have been following this thread with interest since my system manager has been dealing with this same issue. I have one question that I would like ask. Has anyone really voiced their concerns to Oracle support about this problem?

It seems odd that OpenVMS system managers are forced to have to modify the system shutdown procedure in order to shutdown Oracle properly and/or adopt non-standard methods to shutdown an Oracle database. I took the VMS system manager's course years ago from Digital training services. In that course, I was taught some very basic standard things to do and NOT to do to as far as system management. One of things you should NOT do is to modify the Digital supplied standard startup and shutdown procedures.

My recommendation to Oracle would be to send their OpenVMS Oracle developers to a system management training course where they would learn the basic principles of OpenVMS system management. Hopefully then, they could incorporate some standard practices of startup and shutdown procedures into their product.

I can't offer anything as a solution to this problem to you all except to offer my amazement that there isn't a more straightforward method to shutdown an Oracle database.

Danny Stimpson

            __  ___
   __  __  /  |/  /       Danny Stimpson
  / / / / / /|_/ /        Computing & Information Services
 / / / / / /  / /         The University of Montana
/ /_/ / /_/  /_/          Missoula, MT  59812
\____/
                          E-mail:  stimpson_at_selway.umt.edu