Re: Shutting down Oracle under VMS

From: <hhoogend_at_inter.NL.net_at_inter.NL.net>
Date: 1996/03/19

In <314d9c3c.247772457_at_nntp.umt.edu>, stimpson_at_selway.umt.edu (Danny Stimpson) writes:

>I have been following this thread with interest since my system
>manager has been dealing with this same issue. I have one question
>that I would like ask. Has anyone really voiced their concerns to
>Oracle support about this problem?
>
>It seems odd that OpenVMS system managers are forced to have to modify
>the system shutdown procedure in order to shutdown Oracle properly
>and/or adopt non-standard methods to shutdown an Oracle database. I
>took the VMS system manager's course years ago from Digital training
>services. In that course, I was taught some very basic standard
>things to do and NOT to do to as far as system management. One of
>things you should NOT do is to modify the Digital supplied standard
>startup and shutdown procedures.

Modify you're syshutdwn procedure this is a site specific shutdown procedure there is already a syshutdwn.template in the system managers directory.

Mine looks like :

$ SET UIC [ORACLE7]
$ _at_ORACLE:[ORACLE7]stop_oracle !Properly shutdown of oracle
$ _at_ORA_UTIL:REMUTILITY
$ _at_ORA_RDBMS:REMORACLE
$EXIT

Best regards,
Bert

Bert Hoogendoorn,
Laboratorium DZH,
Netherlands,

Email : hhoogend_at_inter.nl.net Received on Tue Mar 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message