Re: Error code ORA-12500

From: Paul Baumgartel <paulb_at_pcnet.com>
Date: 1996/02/16

leng_at_cougar.vut.edu.au (Leng Kaing) wrote:

>: When I connect to database, I received the following errors:
>: ora-12500:TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
>: It has been happening very frequently. What are the ways to remedy it?

[snip]

>I'd like to know as well. Even after immediately bouncing the
>listener I get this error. But it's not consistent. Sometimes it shows
>up, at other times it doesn't. Oracle Support seems to think that it's
>an o/s problem, eg: lacking in some kind of resource. could
>happen any day now...

[snip]

I've experience the same problem on VMS systems. When a VMS system is heavily loaded, process creation can be very slow; if it takes too long, the listener times out and returns this error.

Possible solutions:

  1. Use multi-threaded server. Then no dedicated server processes need be spawned on connection.
  2. Specify pre-spawned shadow processes in LISTENER.ORA. (N.B.: in order to get pre-spawned shadows to work on VMS, Oracle 7.1.5, you need to get a patch from Oracle Support).
Paul Baumgartel, Principal Consultant              paulb_at_pcnet.com
Adept Computer Associates, Inc.