Re: OPO: simple setup?...

From: Peter Yamamoto <pjyamamo_at_daisy.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: 1996/02/16

In article <DMqBqG.3EK_at_watdragon.uwaterloo.ca>, Peter Yamamoto <pjyamamo_at_daisy.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>hello,
>
>maybe I need to buy a book (or a clue!-) but I've been trying
>to figure what OPO is doing for a while now and thought I'd put
>it to the net.
>
>What I want is:
>
>Visually: A list box with a list of names ("surname, given names"
>format) on a "person form" which the user can edit a person's
>personal data.
>The user should be able to scroll the list, and click on a name
>in order to get that person's data into the form.
>The "current record" displayed on the form should stay highlighted
>in the list box.

It's this last subltey that bothered me. Not the visual aspect but the fact that "something" was changing the value from a valid value to NUL but I couldn't trace the source of the change.

I read (what I thought was) all the recordset/bound/unbound reference items based on the list box property sheet.

I just found out that "ScrollWithRow" is in fact an important recordset property and having it set to True was the root of all my confusion (since having it to true affects how setting DataSource and other recordset behaviour behaves [or doesn't behave]).

BTW if I had started my reference search top down, rather than bottom up I might have found out sooner, "ScrollWithRow" is associated with RecordSet Properties in the keyword search (but I didn't notice it mentioned in any of the bound/unbound recordset reference pages).

Peter

--
Peter Yamamoto                     CS   Phone: +1 519-888-4567 x3299
University of Waterloo             MFCF Phone: +1 519-888-4567 x6488