Re: OCI calls

From: Keith Peterson <kp_at_majure.com>
Date: 1996/02/16

Chris Hafey wrote:
> The :var in the SQL statement tells oci that it is a bind variable. obndra()
> tells oci where to find the value for that bind variable. In your example,
> you were concatenating the value into the SQL string. This works great but
> requires no variables to be bound. I am not sure if binding your string
> to the SQL statement will make it execute much faster.
>
> Chris Hafey
> --
> chafey_at_ecst.csuchico.edu http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~chafey
> "One two buckle my shoe take care of me because I might be you"

I don't think execution time will vary "much" for either method. The real difference that if you bind, then change the value of the variable that the bind points to, you can re-execute the statement and not have to parse it all over again; and its the parsing that is time consuming. Makes a big difference when you execute that same statement many times, each with a different value.

--
  \\-00      Keith Peterson   || Don't take life too seriously.