Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: Bob Stewart <bob_at_latcost1.alaao.ats.eds.com>
Date: 1996/02/12

Pablo Sanchez (pablo_at_ppp-mew.corp.sgi.com) wrote:

: Just to quickly jump into the fray... when I was working in the MIS
: organization at HP that supported their Technical Center, there was a
: guy their named Mark C. Mark knew the in's and out's of MPE 3000.
: He was well respected and generally a nice guy.

: Mark had *no* college degree.

: I've done some recruiting for SGI and *we* do look if someone has a
: degree but that's more of a rough "cut" if you will. If someone were
: to come in with real high credentials and no degree I'm sure that
: we'd still consider that person. (I shouldn't say that that was SGI
: policy but rather how "I" did recruiting).

How much is a 10 year old CS degree worth? How about 5? Credentials are great, but some companies are silly about it. If I have a 10 year old CS degree, and have been working the last few years as a pretty much anything, I could probably get an interview at one of these degree only shops as a programmer, even if for only a junior position. On the other hand, if I have no degree, but have been doing doing client/server, sockets, daemons, database, etc., programming, for the last few years, many places won't even read my resume. This seems strange to me.

There are lots of reasons for people not to have a degree, folks.

--
Bob Stewart                     ASE
(310) 335-7152                  Air Transportation Division

I am definitely NOT speaking for EDS.