Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: john b <jointprd_at_crl.com>
Date: 1996/02/13

> > On the other hand, if I have no degree, but have been doing doing
> > client/server, sockets, daemons, database, etc., programming, for
> > the last few years, many places won't even read my resume. This
> > seems strange to me.

I think we're spending more time on this post than corporate America is spending on interviewing. :)

Correct my summary of this issue if I'm wrong.

  1. Corporate America does not recognize that there are very competent "non-degreed computer" people out there.
  2. Corporate America is probably bypassing a great source of knowledge.
  3. Most of corporate America is prejudice.
  4. All things equal, a degree will always win out.
  5. Having a degree does not make you any better than anyone else.
  6. Not having a degree more than likely will limit initial opportunities, but if persistent things will work out.
  7. Good experience is worth just as much as a degree.

Just to share a personal experience, I recall working with two newly hired people. One degreed, the other one not. They both were terrible programmers. Both of them got fired. Both of them got what they had coming. The company I worked for was just as eager to get rid of the degreed person as quickly as the non degreed person. Hmmm.... maybe we should start a post about people fired instead of hired. Hell, then we would probably get the ACLU in here. "The firing of this degreed person was a blatant attempt to undermind the acedemic standards of this great nation of ours. I say that his civil rights were not only unfairly sabotaged, but the firing is also a threat to every degreed person out there. If you think this firing will stop here, you're kidding yourself.  Every degreed person should see this as a threat to their very being."

Yeah, whatever.

Well, at least there's no denying that once you have the job and if you blow it (degreed or not), you will get fired. And that's the way it should be (assuming of course that you don't work for the government - Dopt!!! There's another thread. Who else can I hack?) .

My final $.02.

JB Received on Tue Feb 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message