Re: International Numbers and Date/Times

From: Phil Grisier <pgrisier_at_aurum.com>
Date: 1996/02/12

torfridl_at_ulrik.uio.no (Torfrid Leek) wrote:
>There is a view v$nls_parameters.
>In theory conversion is automatic as long as you let
>Oracle know what you are doing:
>The nls_parameters set for your session should be what
>your client supports, then Oracle will retrieve and
>store correctly. I know this is supposed to work for
>multiple different clients accessing the same database,
>but I am not totally convinced about a single client
>accessing multiple different databases...

Based on your advice I checked the Oracle docs. SQL*Net does the automatic conversion in a client/server environment. This is a great convenience when running a one-country/one system application.

But The NSL architecture does assumes the clients are all set to the same language/territory. So I'm still back to having to do a client-side conversion for clients running in a non-conforming language. My application runs against a variety of different databases, so I may still keep the nls parameters in an application table (there is already a country table), so that I can use the same conversion logic regardless across Oracle, Sybase, SQLBase, and SQL Server. Received on Mon Feb 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message