Re: International Numbers and Date/Times

From: Phil Grisier <pgrisier_at_aurum.com>
Date: 1996/02/12

torfridl_at_ulrik.uio.no (Torfrid Leek) wrote:
>There is a view v$nls_parameters.
>In theory conversion is automatic as long as you let
>Oracle know what you are doing:
>The nls_parameters set for your session should be what
>your client supports, then Oracle will retrieve and
>store correctly. I know this is supposed to work for
>multiple different clients accessing the same database,
>but I am not totally convinced about a single client
>accessing multiple different databases...

Oracle provides a good solution for a one-country/one-system solution. Is there a need in multi-national companies for multiple-countries/one-system solutions? For example, do people in a Zurich office need to share real-time information with people in Helsinki, Bonn, and St. Petersburg? If so, how is such a system built? Are there country-specific databases with replication engines between that convert the data's character sets, and number and date formats? Received on Mon Feb 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message