Re: International Numbers and Date/Times

From: Torfrid Leek <torfridl_at_ulrik.uio.no>
Date: 1996/02/13

In article <4fnuqv$7cl_at_saturn.exodus.net>, Phil Grisier <pgrisier_at_aurum.com> writes:

> But The NSL architecture does assumes the clients are all set
> to the same language/territory.

No, the language/territory for the session is for the client to choose freely. We have clients who use NORWEGIAN and clients who use AMERICAN for language, and when we use Powerbuilder we need to have the territory set to AMERICA because Powerbuilder does the conversion and expects the Oracle AMERICA format, whereas with SQL*Plus we need to use NORWAY. This works (I hope it still does...) against the same database(s). The LANGUAGE is for display only and does not affect data storage. You have to be a bit more careful with TERRITORY and CHARACTER SET, because if the data you insert is not in the same format as your session enviroment variables tell the database it is, you will be on thin ice.

> My application runs against a variety
> of different databases, so I may still keep the nls parameters
> in an application table (there is already a country table), so
> that I can use the same conversion logic regardless across
> Oracle, Sybase, SQLBase, and SQL Server.

Yes, if your application needs to be portable you may have to do other things besides the native Oracle stuff.

Regards, Torfrid

torfrid.leek_at_usit.uio.no Received on Tue Feb 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message