Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: The Water Walker <wilsonch_at_newt.CS.ORST.EDU>
Date: 1996/02/11

>This is the kind of claptrap that really irratates me. I have found through
>my 20 years of experience that the *best* computer people are those who have
>not had to go to college to learn something. They were able to pick up a
>book, on their own, sit down with only their own personal motivation and learn
>something.

I agree with this. I personally have learned more from reading books and coding on my own than from any class I've ever taken. I've seen people come out of thier first CS class, an intro to C++, writing program involving polymorphism and not understanding what they were actually doing. Alot of them barely even understood the basic syntax and what the reserved words even are. The system is designed to just run you through the material and be able to regurgitate enough info to pass an exam. They don't care if you actually know what to do with the knowledge.

>I take college courses to learn the things I am interested in, not the things
>that are required in order to keep college professors employed.

exactly.

--