Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: <johnyc_at_mainelink.net>
Date: 1996/02/10

In article <4fe3ov$pc0_at_qualcomm.com>, nabbasi_at_qualcomm.com wrote:

>There is no execuse for someone not to have one nowadays. You can go to
>night school and get one. you can get a student loan, you can work part time
>and go to school part time, etc...

This is the kind of claptrap that really irratates me. I have found through my 20 years of experience that the *best* computer people are those who have not had to go to college to learn something. They were able to pick up a book, on their own, sit down with only their own personal motivation and learn something.

I have not hired some college grads because they did not have any motivation to learn other than 'I was interested in it and it looked like a good field'.  In fact, today I showed a SAS programmer (who had a masters in engineering) what was wrong with his code, even though it was the first SAS program I had ever seen, and I did not have access to the manual.

I bought my first computer at 17 (a TRS-80). I attended one semester at Miami University of Ohio (where I was going major in Mathmatics) and dropped out because of all the idiots going to school there. My roommate was a chemistry major who could barely do basic algebra and partied every weekend. But his father was rich so he could afford it.

I take college courses to learn the things I am interested in, not the things that are required in order to keep college professors employed.

>Yes, if you were looking for a GOOD job, not having a degree will hinder you.

Consider this, if a company will only hire college grads, and refuses to look at anyone else, ask the following questions: 1. Do you want to work for such a shallow company?? 2. Do you want to work for a company where company policy is king, and not creative thinking and decision making??
3. Do you want to work for a company that micro-manages its managers to the point of telling them who they can and cannot hire based on some false assumption (ie: There is no one without a college education that can be a highly productive employee with excellent job-related skills.)

A real manager has a list of questions to ask prospective employees to verify that the person being interviewed has the necessary skills to do the job. A real manager can look at a resume and weed out those who do not have the skills, and those that should be interviewed.

To paraphrase Mark Twain --

        I wouldn't want to work for any company that would not have me for an employee.

>Education can very rewarding.

At least there was something in this post I can agree with.

But consider this, how smart is someone who just spent 4 to 6 years of their life and their own money studing something when they have probably could have gotten a two year degree technical degree for a lot less money, gone to work for a company, and then had the company pay for their degree?? Or could have gone into the armed services for 4 years and had Uncle Sam pay for it??

Just my opinions, even though they are the only correct ones :-) Received on Sat Feb 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message