Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: Nikolay Dichev <cdsipbs_at_the-hermes.net>
Date: 1996/02/10

snip here

>I think the question should be "What do I gain by getting a degree?"
>
>The discussion in this thread so far has been (for the most part)
>that a degree is just a slip of paper given to you after four years (and
>X amount of $$$). In reality you have to take classes! Hmmm..I wonder
>what you learn in those? Well, obviously you learn some languages BUT
>more importantly, you learn theory. YEECHH!! Theory why do I need to
>know that! Just give me C++ for dummies and in a week I can call myself
>a "C++ programmer"!

I could not agree more. There are several ways to get a good professional background, the most structured one - UNIVERSITY. Of course you can learn the same thing by reading books by youself. However the chances are you will miss something or just do not finish the book (ask me about it).

There is another point to be made here. When we are looking for new people the most important thing is - can they stay on the top and continue learning as the business changes. Everybody can take a few classes and become a wiz in one product. But tomorrow this product will change or will be gone forever. And then the real question is how trainable are your people. Going through a university prepares you for things like this and assures the employer (with some probability) that you can evolve as the business evolves.

Just my $0.02.

Thank you,
Nikolay Received on Sat Feb 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message