Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: <cpearson_at_$IMAPSERVER>
Date: 1996/02/09

As a current CS undergrad, I cannot let this discussion "slip" by! (so you can tell where my bias is ;-> )

I think the question should be "What do I gain by getting a degree?"

The discussion in this thread so far has been (for the most part) that a degree is just a slip of paper given to you after four years (and X amount of $$$). In reality you have to take classes! Hmmm..I wonder what you learn in those? Well, obviously you learn some languages BUT more importantly, you learn theory. YEECHH!! Theory why do I need to know that! Just give me C++ for dummies and in a week I can call myself a "C++ programmer"!

Well, you can because you know how to write C++ code, but you may (or most likely may not) know how to produce the most effective algorithm.

Software engineering and GOOD code writing is more than just sitting in front of your keyboard and banging out a program. As most of you know, writing the damn thing is just the first step. Maintenance (upgrades!) of code will last for years. It is much easier to update a piece of code that was written correctly than a mish mash of code.

Also, by taking EE and advanced math classes, you begin to think in a differnt way. Can that huge ugly formula that takes 5 minutes to process be written any differently? Can I use boolean logic to reduce the number of AND/OR/NOTs to pick up speed???

And then there are the so called "liberal arts" classes. Good communication skill and the ability to work in problem solving teams are just as important as your programming skill.

As far as being non-creative goes....Ask anyone who has taken calculus or any other "problem solving" class and they will tell you it takes a whole lot of creativity to solve any problem.

I can go on and on, but my main point is:

	A degree is a heck of a lot more than just some piece of
   	paper that says you went to collage and drank a lot of
	beer!

I'm sure that there ARE many people who can out "program" me who don't have degrees, but there are many, many more who are wandering around thinking that all there is to programming is "hacking" together code in a few hours.......

Like I said, I am in school so I have very strong feelings about this subject! ;->

Later,

-Chris Received on Fri Feb 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message