Re: Need info on Designer 2000 experience

From: Jeff Jacobs <jjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/01/26

len_at_cmic.ca (Leonard Vanek) wrote:

>For scheduling purposes I would like to know what the relative times
>are that one would spend using each tool in the life cycle. Does
>anyone have enough experience with following a project through the
>complete life cycle to give me an idea of how long you spent on each
>step?

>Any advice or tips would also be appreciated too. Thanks.

>Leonard Vanek
>Computer Methods International Corp.
>len_at_cmic.ca

This is very dependent on the size and complexity of the system, and how well it can be partitioned into parallel efforts.

In general, I would allocate 2/3 of the elapsed time to analysis and 1/3 to design/implementation (D/I). D/I covers a lot of ground, including transition and rollout.

Some general (free) advice...

Don't skimp on training! This is the single most important factor in determining success or failure. Don't try to train everybody in everything all at once
.
The more thorough and detailed your analysis, the less work you will need to do in D/I (and particularly rework due to not understanding what the user wants).

Work in teams, not as solo individuals, particularly in analysis.

Be willing to create prototypes early on, and be prepared to throw them away.

Setup an small group to work on look and feel standards, preference standards and templates. Identify functionality that isn't provided directly by Des2K generators, but can be provided via templates and PL/SQL. Set expectations. Identify the tradeoffs between generated functionality vs "cool" handmade features.

Join the Oracle CASE SIG and attend the San Diego Conference in May (call 910-452-7444 for more info).

Consider engaging experienced consulting help (blatant plug).

-JJ

 Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
 Oracle Designer/2000 Consulting & Training  951-2 Old Country Road, Suite 119, Belmont, CA 94002  Voice: 415-571-7092, FAX: 800-665-1379 CompuServe: 76702,456  Internet: 76702.456_at_compuserve.com     Received on Fri Jan 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message