Re: NT Oracle instance autostart (was Re: Oracle in NT environment)

From: Brad <bradr_at_gasullivan.com>
Date: 1996/01/26

Bruce Robertson <brucer_at_mind.net> wrote:

>mpower_at_ee.net wrote:
>>
>> Ulf Pettersson <Ulf.Pettersson_at_ore.ims.se> wrote:
>>
>> >Do any have one any suggestions how to start an instance automatically
>> >òn the NT platform ?--
>-- Netscape 2.0b6a newsreader is forcing me to delete much context !!!--
>--
>Running from the program manager startup group is an answer if someone with privileges can/is willing to login
>to the NT system whenever the instance is required to be up.

>If one desires that the instance come up during the bootup of NT it is necessary to write an NT service. This
>service of course should not start until the various Oracle NT services are started. I have been told that
>there is a framework for writing simple services called SRVANY in the Windows NT resource kit. The idea should
>be to simply run the above vsmgr.exe command once the underlying services are ready. IF ANYBODY implements this
>soon and is willing to share, I'd be interested. Otherwise I'll be doing one and I'll post the technique after
>debugging.

>If one has access to the WIN32 sample code and a development environment, there's a "service" directory with a
>small example which could be cobbled into shape.

Using a service to start up an Oracle instance is a good idea, but seems like a lot of work.

We automatically start our NT Oracle Instances by calling a .cmd file from within the Autoexec.bat. The .CMD file then calls the Oracle insance manager, ORADIM71.EXE. This GUI tool also has a number of command line parameters. When the command line parameters are set correctly in the call to ORADIM71 we have succesfully started four instances.

Hope this helps.

					Brad Rhodes
					G. A. Sullivan Consulting