Re: insert sql commands from a perl script

From: Charles Jardine <cj10_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/01/15

Enrico Venuto <venuto_at_athena.polito.it> wrote:
>Hi,
>I read in comp.databases.oracle newsgroup your reply to Herve Muyal
>about oraperl.
>
>In the campus we have an Oracle7 server running on DEC/Alpha OSF/1.
>We need to access a database from another Alpha machine.
>
>Do you know if we can use Oraperl accessing a remote database.
>What are software requiremnts? (Sqlnet?)

I can answer this for SunOS 4. There may be small differences for OSF.

Install SQL*Net on the server machine. Build oraperl on the server machine. Copy the fully linked oraperl binary to the client machine.

On the client machine add the following line to /etc/services

orasrv 1525/tcp oracle

On the client machine set the environment variable TWO_TASK to T:server:sid, where server is the IP name of the server and sid is the system identifier of the database. On the server, check that oraserv is running and that /etc/oratab is set up correctly (see Sql*NET documentation).

Oraperl will now run on the client.

No extra software is required on the client. All you need is already linked into oraperl. Of course this may be different under OSF, there may be shared libraries you need to copy.

The same sort of thing can be done for Sql*NET V2, however the client needs slightly more configuration (though, still no extra software).

You must, of course, be licenced to run Oracle client software on the client machine. Received on Mon Jan 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message