Re: One table per tablespace?

From: Wayne Balmer <wbalmer_at_op.net>
Date: 1996/01/15

tgillesp_at_ms13.mis.semi.harris.com (Tom Gillespie) wrote:

>I am looking for opinions on dedicated tablespaces and how many files to use
>for a large table. The table is currently ~ 250Mb, and growing at
>500Mb/year. Since it will store a rolling 10 years of data, the final size
>of this table will be about 5Gb.

>To minimize the number of extents, I'm thinking about creating a tablespace
>dedicated to this table, comprised of three files, each being about 1.7 Gb.
>Since I can't create a file in UNIX (Solaris 2.4) greater than 2 Gb, I will
>use three files.

>Wadda ya tink ?

>--
> Tom Gillespie - -
> Harris Semiconductor | | | |
> Manufacturing Systems _/\/\/\/
> Palm Bay, FL | | | |
> Tom.Gillespie_at_harris.com _ _

> E Pluribus UNIX

This will work. You will want to also consider some refinements. Create the tablespace or table with constant size extents such as 200M. The tablespace data files should be multiples of this or just slightly larger.

 You should not be as concerned with the number of extents as with the storage parameters of the table itself such as PCTFREE, PCTUSED etc, as long as you stay under the MAXEXTENTS. This probably would not be a consideration if you are correctly using at least 8k database block size. For a database of this size, don't settle for less.

Also, do some analysis on the nature of the data now to prepare for the next increase by adding a datafile.

Wayne Balmer, wainwrights.com wbalmer_at_op.net Received on Mon Jan 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message