(no subject)

From: David Phizacklea (SERCo) <"David>
Date: 1996/01/11

I am a DBA with a connundrum to solve, I hope someone can help me.

We have several machines of various sizes and configurations in hardware, OS and Oracle version. However, the main machine in my area is a DEC Alpha 2100 which is part of a clustered group. the configuration is as follows:

Alpha 2100 Open VMS 6.1 Oracle 7.0.16.4 Forms 3.0.16.7

various DEC disks between 1 & 2 Gb

3 x 5Gb RAID5 Arrays

My problem is this:

Having a database with many small tables and a few VERY large tables, I must spread the database across the RAID5 devices as best as possible. One of our main tables has around 3.5 million rows and is growing. For reasons not for this infobase I cannot reduce this, or any other large table to smaller components. So this large table has four large indexes, I have three large RAID5 volumes and want to spread the contention, the space, and the tables/indexes across datafiles like it recommends in the books.

Do I,

  1. Run the table across all three RAID5 volumes in three datafiles and run the indexes the same?
  2. Keep the table in one datafile, the indexes in another on different volumes?
  3. Another solution?

Anyone with experience in this field, especially with Alphas and VMS would be welcomed for a chat on the problems surrounding the usage of these monsters.

Please send your thoughts.

Thanks in advance...

Phiz. Received on Thu Jan 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message