Re: Join/Datatype Performance Considerations

From: Raju Patel <rpatel_at_hooked.net>
Date: 1996/01/05

:

That is not necessarily true for Oracle. Oracle store numbers in its own exponential notation so it has to use different comparison mechanisms. The only advantage of using the number datatype in joins would be that it usually takes fewer bytes to represent a number then a VARCHAR2. As a result, there will be fewer bytes to compare.

Raju Patel