Re: SQL*Net AppleTalk

From: Carsten Pedersen <carstenp_at_inet.uni-c.dk>
Date: 1996/01/05

In article <mikek-0301961856380001_at_franklin-tty12.jvnc.net>, mikek_at_krt.com (Michael Kranzdorf) wrote:

> Does anyone know what server platforms can run a SQL*Net that speaks
> AppleTalk? Our A/UX Oracle7 server does, but we will have to migrate soon
> since it's stuck at version 7.0.x. I am assuming we'll go to Solaris or

I'd be very surprised if you found any non-Apple servers supporting AppleTalk. Also you should be aware that apart from ease of installation, SQL*Net AppleTalk does have a couple of disadvantages compared to TCP/IP. We encountered reproducible 10 second delays, when executing long SQL commands, these were never explained by Oracle. You can also run into a severe performance penalty on some 10 base T networks with intelligent hubs.

Carsten Pedersen Received on Fri Jan 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message