Re: find out who is connected to server, How ?

From: Bill Manry - Oracle Corp. <bmanry_at_ibmgate-aix.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/01/05

Chris Selwyn (chris_at_perihelion.co.uk) wrote:
>Is there a good reason why SQL*Net cannot place the network address of the
>connecting terminal (IP address, OSI address... whatever) into the appropriate
>field of whatever base table so that it appears in the terminal field
>of v$session?

SQL*Net doesn't populate those fields directly, but it might be reasonable to request an enhancement to the RDBMS to do so. Note that "network address" is protocol-specific; a meaningful implementation probably would need a larger column than v$session.terminal and the content could only be defined vaguely.

Let me mention a couple of issues (just the ones that come to mind immediately) so you understand why this isn't as trivial to implement as it sounds. If the piece of data we are talking about is simply the network address of the connecting entity, what do you expect to see when -

  • the connection was made by way of a protocol interchange?
  • the connection comes from another Oracle instance via a database link the application has opened?

In neither case will the network address of the connecting entity tell you anything about who/where the original user is.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  Mainframe and Integration Technologies  -  Oracle Corporation
Standard disclaimer applies.