Re: Year 2000 problem/easy

From: Robert C. Nix <rnix_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/01/04

Tim Jinkerson - Sun UK - Applications Engineer wrote:

> In article 21BB_at_gate.net, nix <nix_at_gate.net> writes:
> > deng mei wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a easy solution for the so called "year 2000" problem:
> > > If YY < 75(e.g.,), then it is 20YY;
> > > If YY > 75, then it is 19YY.
> > > So we got another 75 years to relax.
> > >
> > > mdeng_at_julian.uwo.ca
> >
> > How about:
> >
> > Assume the current year is CCYY (i.e. for this year CC=19 and YY=96)
> >
> > if YY < 51 then year = (CC+1)YY
> > else year = CCYY
> >
> > This is a generic solution that will always work. Forever!
> > Or at least until I'm long gone. year 9999 might cause problems depending
> > on the data structure used to store the current century.
> >
> > In Oracle7 terms there is a format mask call RR that does the same thing
> > for two digit years.
> >
> > ______________________
> > Robert C. nix_at_gate.net
>
> Bad news for my dad, look's like he hasn't been born yet!
>
> 23/9/23 = 23/9/2023
>
> Fine for life assurance maturity dates, but won't work for life assurance acceptance criteria.
>
> Tim
>
> These views are generally accepted by the computing community.

If you've got dates that will span a century, it's obvious that the only solution is to use a four digit year.

Robert C. Nix
Oracle Tools Support
rnix_at_us.oracle.com

DISCLAIMER:
The thoughts, opinions, remarks, suggestions, ...
expressed herein are my own and in no way should
be taken as a statement from Oracle Corporation.
I am NOT the voice of Oracle (not even close!).