Re: Year 2000 problem/easy

From: Tim Jinkerson - Sun UK - Applications Engineer <timj_at_baa.uk.sun.com>
Date: 1996/01/04

In article 21BB_at_gate.net, nix <nix_at_gate.net> writes:
> deng mei wrote:
> >
> > I have a easy solution for the so called "year 2000" problem:
> > If YY < 75(e.g.,), then it is 20YY;
> > If YY > 75, then it is 19YY.
> > So we got another 75 years to relax.
> >
> > mdeng_at_julian.uwo.ca
>
> How about:
>
> Assume the current year is CCYY (i.e. for this year CC=19 and YY=96)
>
> if YY < 51 then year = (CC+1)YY
> else year = CCYY
>
> This is a generic solution that will always work. Forever!
> Or at least until I'm long gone. year 9999 might cause problems depending
> on the data structure used to store the current century.
>
> In Oracle7 terms there is a format mask call RR that does the same thing
> for two digit years.

> Robert C. nix_at_gate.net

Bad news for my dad, look's like he hasn't been born yet!

23/9/23 = 23/9/2023

Fine for life assurance maturity dates, but won't work for life assurance acceptance criteria.

Tim

These views are generally accepted by the computing community. Received on Thu Jan 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message