Re: Database performance and size

From: Graeme Sargent <graeme_at_uk.pyramid.com>
Date: 1996/01/04

In article <4bapid$595_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com>, markp10013_at_aol.com (MarkP10013) wrote:

> I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this debate;
> Some people I've talked with think that the performance of a database will
> be
> affected as the number of rows in the tables grow. Others say that
> performance
> won't be affected at all no matter how large the database gets. Which
> opinion is true? I know this sounds trivial, but it's seem to be one of
> those questions that tests theory and real world experiences.

It really depends on how you use the database.

Indexed Unique scans will hardly be affected. Indexed Range scans will only be affected if the average range size increases as the table increases.
Table scans *will* (obviously, I hope) be affected. Joins may or may not be affected, depending on how many of which strategy they use.

Basically OLTP should not be seriously affected providing you've got your indexing strategy and application tuning right.

DSS almost certainly would be affected.

graeme

--
Disclaimer: The author's opinions are his own, and not necessarily
            those of Pyramid Technology Ltd or Pyramid Technology Inc