Re: Pro*C v/s PL/SQL

From: Mark A. Scarton <marksc_at_wpmail.code3.com>
Date: 1995/12/29

Srinivas <cevaik_at_unix1.sncc.lsu.edu> wrote:
>I am working on a problem involving loading tables from an oracle table.
>(The table is actually a flat table)
>The options I have, is to use Pro*C or PL/SQL (some programming logic
>is required to load these tables). I am wondering, which one is faster?
>Some of these tables have a million records.

One experience that we had recently was that if the load program has to do much in the way of data preparation (string manipulation, etc.), then Pro*C is a definite winner. We reduced one comperable load utility from >24hours to approximately 10 minutes by switching from PL/SQL to a Pro*C application running on a Windows/NT (3.51 Workstation) client and manipulating the rows per insert and the frequency of commit. Received on Fri Dec 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message