Pro*C v/s PL/SQL

From: Srinivas <cevaik_at_unix1.sncc.lsu.edu>
Date: 1995/12/12

I am working on a problem involving loading tables from an oracle table. (The table is actually a flat table)
The options I have, is to use Pro*C or PL/SQL (some programming logic is required to load these tables). I am wondering, which one is faster? Some of these tables have a million records.

I have recently seen a posting on this newsgroup saying that if the tables are large, use PL/SQL and if the tables are very large, use Pro*C.

Can anyone tell why one of them is preferred over the other? I know PL/SQL is more tightly tied to the server. Are there any other reasons, in addition to the above?

If I use PL/SQL, I will be storing the entire procedure on the server, and will be issuing a single execute command from the SQL*Plus prompt.

Thanks
Srini Received on Tue Dec 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message