Re: Oracle headed for Legal Trouble

From: EndUser <enduser_at_enduser.com>
Date: 1995/12/24

possibly you need to think about these methods that sales/marketing like to use to distribute product. many software companies have realized that it is more costly to reship piece this and piece that, and they are also interested in putting product in front of you. thus, you will often see distribution where
more product is present, or you may see the other pieces of a product you did not order, but they arent useable until you get an authorization code (adobe type-on-call),
or they may even let you install and use it, and bill you later for it when you try to get support for it, on and on.

anyway, the point is, when you buy the verticals from Oracle, like financials, it is intended to be sold and to be supported as a monolith. it doesnt matter that
it is built upon tools which could be used to extend, or to customize the product.
the salient point is that, as a bundle, you must deal with the bundle. that may mean
that you cannot buy piece a without b, or you wont be able to use piece c without d.
it also means, that they expect you to ask and get support for the product as the bundle
dictates, not as the underlying tool may need. that is, if you have a problem with sql*net
you may not be able to get the same level of support for that piece, if your license is for
the bundle. that is becuase you got a scaled down, or tailored version of sql*net
to be adequate to the bundle you bought. if you want the full tool, then buy it,
if you want the bundle then be satisfied with the form and content of tht bundle,
but do not expect the vendor to move outside theparameters they set up for a given
product, it is not only unfair, it is probably not possible.