Re: Oracle headed for Legal Trouble

From: Mohamed Madhoun <mmadhoun_at_gate.net>
Date: 1995/12/23

I'm a having a hard time understanding the flow of logic in your article. Having extra products shipped to you on a CD have nothing to do with you buying or using any product you choose to.

I have been a DBA for a while and had to support at one time or another databases with Applications installed on them. During an install or upgrade you will be asked about the modules you wish to install/upgrade. In this case Oracle is using the HONOR system by trusting you in installing what you are licensed for ONLY.

During the course of installation the autoinstaller may install modules that are needed for the proper use of the modules you are installing. This is usually referred to as SHARED INSTALL.

No matter whate the case is, nobody is preventing you from developing your own reports or bying Joe Shmo's products.