Re: Hot backups for Oracle 7/Solaris

From: Neil Greene <ngreene_at_locws140049.shl.com>
Date: 1995/12/23

Rich Moldovan <richmo_at_azstarnet.com> writes:

>I currently have been assigned the task of backing up an recently
>started Oracle data base. Oracle 7 is running on a Sparc/Solaris
>platform and the data files reside on an NFS mounted drive. The
>NFS server is an Auspex file server running SunOS 4.1.3. We already
>have tape backup facilities on the Auspex. My problem is - since
>the database is serving a 24hour/7day manufacturing facility, it is
>impracticle to shut the database down for cold backups. It seems
>ludicrous to backup a 2 gig data file that is 98% empty at this
>point. Does anyone have any recomendations for this situation.

Rich:

Be VERY VERY VERFY careful NFS mounting your Oracle datafiles. You are headed toward some problems with datafile corruption if/when anything goes wrong between the two systems.

I guess my next question would be, if your 2gb datafile is 98% empty, then why is it 2GB?

--
Neil Greene
Senior Oracle DBA / Unix System Administrator