Re: Sql*Net V2 - client configuration question.

From: Matthew M. Lih <lih_at_venice.sedd.trw.com>
Date: 1995/12/13

Tony Sampson wrote:

[snip]

Let me try!

> The tnsnames.ora file is searched for in <ORACLE_HOME>\network\admin.
>
> There does not seem to be an entry in oracle.ini that points to where this file resides
> i.e: there is no reference (on my system) to C:\ORAWIN\network\admin.

Try:

NETWORK_DIR=C:\ORAWIN\NETWORK (in oracle.ini)

> Have you considered using SMS or something similar to distribute the file to the
> workstations when you have to update it?

We installed all our Oracle products onto a file server, then fixed the PATH, the oracle.ini, and the DLLs for each workstation. TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA can be kept on the file server as well. This works fine. The procedure is described in the Developer/2000 installation guide, under the installation to LAN section.

> Anyone else?
>
> cheers,
> Tony Sampson
> DBA/software terrorist, South Australian Government Financing Authority
> sampson_at_dtf.sa.gov.au

Matthew M. Lih
Software Lead, SAIN Project
TRW Data Technologies Division Received on Wed Dec 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message