Re: Designer 2000 Install Problem

From: W. van der Deijl <W.van.der.Deijl_at_inter.nl.net>
Date: 1995/12/09

First of all: I tried to send you this using e-mail but it bounced. Something about your account not know to the mail-server. So perhaps you should contact your administrator or look at the settings of your news-software.

Hi,

I had the same problems. I'll send you the step-by-step guide I wrote after I gopt Des/2000 working on my PO7-95 machine (a P100 with 32Mb). Be sure to issue the two GRANT EXECUTE ON.... statements. If you read the online-help it looks like you'll grant these two privileges using the rolw DES2000_OWNER. But by issuing these two grant explicitly I got rif of the error open new activity thing.

Here it is:

###################

### BEGIN PASTE ###
###################

* start Personal Oracle
  • start SQL*DBA (\orawin\bin\sqldba72.exe)
  • connect sys/change_on_install
  • enable procedural option: _at_\orawin\rdbms72\admin\catproc.sql (appr. 15 minutes)
  • create some new tablespaces and enlarge existing SYSTEM-tablespace: create tablespace des2 datafile 'c:\orawin\database\des2.ora' size 16M; create tablespace des2_I datafile 'c:\orawin\database\des2_I.ora' size 13M; alter tablespace SYSTEM add datafile 'c:\orawin\database\sys2orcl.ora' size 60M;
  • close SQL*DBA (exit)
  • start SQL*Plus (\orawin\bin\sqlplus32.exe)
  • connect sys/change_on_install;
  • create user "DES2000" (he'll be the repository owner) create user des2000 identified by des2000 default tablespace des2 temporary tablespace des2;
  • create the role "DES2000_OWNER" using the following script: _at_\orawin\repadm10\utl\ckrorole.sql
  • grant some rights to DES2000: grant connect,resource,DES2000_OWNER to DES2000;
  • grant execute-rights on two packages to DES2000: grant execute on sys.dbms_pipe to DES2000; grant execute on sys.dbms_lock to DES2000;
  • close SQL*Plus (exit)
  • shutdown the database
  • edit two lines in \orawin\database\initorcl.ora: shared_pool_size = 18000000 db_block_buffers = 1000
  • add two lines to \orawin\database\initorcl.ora: global_names = false open_cursors = 200
  • processes should be 20 for Designer, but is already at 50 so don't change
  • restart the database
  • start Designer/2000 Repository Administration Utility
  • connect as DES2000 (password=DES2000)
  • select DES2_I as index tablespace
  • select DES2 as table tablespace
  • press the "Execute"-button
  • some tables will be imported. When this is done (appr. 1 minute) the button "Close" in the "IMPORT STATUS"-window will become black meaning it's available. If you're satisfied with the import press Close.
  • some SQL-scripts will be executed.
  • some other tables will be imported. This import will take a bit longer (appr. 10-15 minutes). The first table to be imported contains about 25000 rows and may take a few minutes. So nothing is wrong when no output is written to the "IMPORT STATUS" window. As soon as the Close button is available: press it.
  • Now some more SQL-scripts will be executed. These took about two hours, so get a cup of coffee (or two, or three...)
  • when everything is finished, you could take a loot at the logfiles: \orawin\bin\*.lis and \orawin\bin\*.log
  • you might want to add a user to the repository on the maintain user tab.
  • you can close the repository administration utility as you work is done!

If you encounter any problems, you can contact me directly (W.van.der.Deijl_at_inter.nl.net) as Oracle Support won't support the combination of Personal Oracle and Designer/2000....

### END PASTE ###

Bye,
Wilfred
The Netherlands

Bye,
Wilfred
The Netherlands Received on Sat Dec 09 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message