Re: Help! failed to extend rollback segment error.

From: John Jones <john_at_iluvatar.tip.duke.edu>
Date: 1995/11/13

I do commits within a cursor loop all the time and it works just fine for me. Try adopting the following code.

cursor sc is select emp_no from emp_table where

     emp_no > 1000;
begin
for sr in sc loop /*opens an cursor*/

   update emp_table set salary = salary *1.15

     where emp_no = sr.emp_no;
     commit;

end loop;
end;
On 10 Nov 1995, Ed Steinman wrote:

> If possible do commits in the middle of your job so that there's not so
> many records to post. You might be abe to accomplish this by using a loop
> in a PL/SQL script. This idea won't work if you're using cursors
> however--a commit kills a cursor.
> Ed Steinman What the Zen Buddhist said to the
> Computing Unit, School of Dentistry hot dog vendor:
> University of Michigan
> Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1078 "Make me one with everything."
> 313-764-9850
> FAX 313-747-4024
> e-mail: esteinma_at_umich.edu

John Jones			| my views are my own.........
Oracle Consultant		| no matter what company they are
john_at_iluvatar.tip.duke.edu	| coming from.