Re: UNIX vs VMS

From: Shari Dishop - Network Engineering - Westinghouse Comm. - Baltimore <dishop_at_netops.bwi.wec.com>
Date: 1995/10/13

In article <DGBH3z.LA9_at_cunews.carleton.ca>, dcavens_at_schoolnet.carleton.ca (Darrell Cavens) writes:
>mreagan_at_fast.net wrote:

  <snip>

> As far as I know, digital is phasing out VMS(Ill assume there will be
>support for awhile), but developing on a platform that appears to be headed
>out does not seem like a great plan (IMHO)

From everything I have seen/read/heard DEC has no plans to do away with OpenVMS. (Every since DEC started supporting more than one operating system on their hardware people have been trying to kill VMS!) I have on desk the latest DECUS (Digital Equipment Corporation User Society) newsletter. This includes an interview with Wes Melling Vice President, OpenVMS Systems Business, Digital Equipment Corporation. To paraphrase some of his statements ... OpenVMS is not going away for a long, long, long, time ... It is going to be supported and enhanced.

As a side note:
  The subject of this article is the integration of OpenVMS with Windows NT. The article stated that DEC is planning to add support for Microsoft Foundation Classes (along with other NT features) to OpenVMS. If this does indeed happen and all of the Microsoft "proprietary" features used to for some of Oracle's latest software (Designer 2000) is available on OpenVMS, users may have a non-Microsoft OS choice yet!

Shari Dishop
Network Engineering
Westinghouse Communications - Baltimore
dishop_at_netops.bwi.com

These view are mine and not necessarily Westinghouse's. Received on Fri Oct 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message