Re: Impromptu

From: Matt Reedy <matt_at_iqsc.com>
Date: 1995/10/13

Ed Bruce (edward_at_igate1.hac.com) wrote: : In article <596787804wnr_at_mrush.demon.co.uk>, mike_at_mrush.demon.co.uk wrote:

: > I was specifically interested in a tool which can connect to an
: > Oracle database server and which hides the complexities of database
: > structures from users. I didn't want users having to specify
: > table joins etc in their reports. (Reportsmith requires you to do this)

: This is the second post to mention this, am I missing something. Why don't : you create a view that performs the join?

The main reason you don't is that users will want lots and lots of different things joined, because by definition this is "ad-hoc" reporting. In addition, these joins may be temporary - for a single run of a report. You don't want to create the maintenance headache of managing hundreds or thousands of view definitions for one-time reports.

Regards,

matt

--
Matthew Reedy                 Chief Technical Officer
IQ Software Corporation       Internet: matt_at_iqsc.com