Re: Need help with CONNECT_TIME & IDLE_TIME confusion...

From: Peter Chandler <peterc_at_melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
Date: 1995/10/12

ejuan01_at_solix.fiu.edu (Eddie Hernandez) writes:

>I am setting up Profiles for all kinds of users of our Oracle7 Workgroup
>Database server. I have a few questions that I have come across:

>1)In profiles what is the unit of measure for the CONNECT_TIME
>and IDLE_TIME properties. Are they seconds, minutes, hours?!?. I wish the
>documentation would go into this, unless I missed it in the 15 manuals I have
>*ACK*.
These parameter values should be specified in minutes. The documentation doesn't actually document this in detail ( as you are aware!!) but I found an example in the 'SQL Language reference manual' (p.4-179 Create Profile) and it refers to CONNECT TIME in minutes. Small assumption on my part.

>2)What exactly are CONNECT_TIME and IDLE_TIME. I assume CONNECT_TIME is the
>time you spend logged on the server and IDLE_TIME is the time
>spent doing no work "INACTIVE". Heres the thing , I set CONNECT_TIME to
>30 and IDLE_TIME to 10 thinking one of the two would disconnect my
>connection. I then connected with a new user that has the profile I
>created assigned to it. I assume the time is in seconds or minutes so I
>wait the full 30 minutes to be sure. But when I come back my user
>connection is still up. Can someone explain what I am doing wrong and why
>my connection was not severed?

Correct. However, there is an initialisation parameter called RESOURCE_LIMIT that enables/disables the enforcement of limitations within profiles. The default setting is FALSE. You can either set this in yout init.ora file or, to save shutting the DB down, do an

           ALTER SYSTEM
               SET RESOURCE_LIMIT = TRUE;

>3)I would also like to know the units of the other parameters of profiles, is
>there a place where I can look all this up?

Try the 'SQL Language Reference' Manual, Chapter 4 in the copy I have.

>Any help would be appreciated, thanks

No Problem, Dude.

PeterC.
peterc_at_melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au Received on Thu Oct 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message