Need help with CONNECT_TIME & IDLE_TIME confusion...

From: Eddie Hernandez <ejuan01_at_solix.fiu.edu>
Date: 1995/10/10

I am setting up Profiles for all kinds of users of our Oracle7 Workgroup Database server. I have a few questions that I have come across:

1)In profiles what is the unit of measure for the CONNECT_TIME and IDLE_TIME properties. Are they seconds, minutes, hours?!?. I wish the documentation would go into this, unless I missed it in the 15 manuals I have
*ACK*.
2)What exactly are CONNECT_TIME and IDLE_TIME. I assume CONNECT_TIME is the time you spend logged on the server and IDLE_TIME is the time spent doing no work "INACTIVE". Heres the thing , I set CONNECT_TIME to 30 and IDLE_TIME to 10 thinking one of the two would disconnect my connection. I then connected with a new user that has the profile I created assigned to it. I assume the time is in seconds or minutes so I wait the full 30 minutes to be sure. But when I come back my user connection is still up. Can someone explain what I am doing wrong and why my connection was not severed?

3)I would also like to know the units of the other parameters of profiles, is there a place where I can look all this up?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Eddie Hernandez                              North Broward Hospital District
Programmer/Oracle DBA                        1608 SE 3rd Avenue
hernb0_at_nbhd.org                              Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316