Re: SQL*PLUS problem avoiding variable interpolation in strings

From: Paul Baumgartel <paulb_at_pcnet.com>
Date: 1995/10/11

dlincke_at_bandon.unisg.ch (David-Michael Lincke) wrote:
>I have insert statements of the following kind in an SQL*PLUS script file
>
>insert into table values ('&Ouml;ffentlichkeit', 'Stra&zslig;e...
>
>Now SQL*PLus takes the SGML entities as variables to be interpolated. Is
>there anyway I can stop it from doing this? Escaping with \ or doubling the
>& doesn't help.

Yes. Issue the SQL*Plus command

set scan off

or

set define off

and the & will not be interpreted. Or you can set the variable substitution prefix to some other character with

set define 'C'

where C is a character other than '&'. Received on Wed Oct 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message