Re: Multiple Oracle SIDs

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1995/10/11

On Mon, 9 Oct 1995 crb30_at_juts.ccc.amdahl.com wrote:
> It's been a while but I used to work as a system administrator in a shop
> where we supported multiple instances of Oracle (PROD, TEST, and DBA) on
> the same unix server. Does anyone know of a current whitepaper or current
> documentation on the subject?

First, set up and use the OFA (white paper someplace) so that each database has it's own seperate set of directories. [Also allows running multiple versions of Oracle on the same box.]

Then use the orasrv utility provided by ORACLE.

Then you might be interested in the set of utilities I just finished that peek inside /etc/oratab to valid the SID values. They also allow the user to set their own DEFAULT that is automatically assigned when they log onto the unix box. [getorasid and setorasid]

I tried to set up the initSID.ora files with symbolics but ran into a problem with the 7.2.2 release of ORACLE. The paths needed to be hardcoded.

However, if you are good with sed, then you should be able to create a codified standard file that is modified and distributed by a script.

Good hunting.

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Wed Oct 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message