Insert fails with varchar2(750) when string is longer than 250

From: Hagen Finley <hagen_at_violet.berkeley.edu>
Date: 1995/10/08

I am attempting to insert a text string into a varchar2 column (field) set to 750 using SQL+ (WIN95 beta version). My impression is that the insert is failing because the string is over 250 characters even though I have set the  column length to 750. The complaint I get is that the string is improperly terminated. However, when I use exactly the same syntax and shorten the string the row is created properly. Originally I thought the punctuation in the sentence (string) I was inputing was fooling SQL into thinking the string had ended when, in fact, it had not. However, I experimented by removing the punctuation from the string and the only issue that seems to be underlying the insert failure is the string length. For what its worth the string is well short of the 750 column parameter.

SQL> describe turning

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 LINE                                     NUMBER(5)
 PAGE                                     CHAR(10)
 FOOTNOTE                                 NUMBER(3)
 ETEXT                                    VARCHAR2(750)
 GTEXT                                    VARCHAR2(750)
 CHAPTER                                  NUMBER(4)
 SECTION                                  NUMBER(5)

ETEXT is the column I am having trouble inputing into.

Here is an example of the shorter string which is processed properly:

SQL> INSERT INTO turning
  2 VALUES (1, '36-37', 1, 'The essence of Enframing is that setting-upon gathering itself which entraps the truth of its own coming to presence with oblivion.','none', 0,0);

1 row created.

Here is an example of a longer string which fails to insert:

SQL> INSERT INTO turning
  2 VALUES (1,'36-37', 'The essence 1 of Enframing is that setting-upon gathered into itself which entraps the truth of its own coming to presence with oblivion .2 This entrapping disguises itself, in that it develops {Page 37} into the setting in order of everything that presences as standingreserve, establishes itself in the standing-reserve, and rules as the standing-reserve.','none',0,0);
  3 ;
VALUES (1,'36-37', 'The essence 1 of Enframing is that setting-upon gathered into itself which entraps the truth of its own coming to presence with oblivion .2 This entrapping disguises itself, in that it develops {Page 37} into the setting in order of eve

ERROR at line 2:
ORA-01756: quoted string not properly terminated

Note 1) I have to enter the semi-colon twice to process the insert, 2) the string is cut short - its appears to end with 'in order of eve'.

The primary motivation for involving myself with Oracle was to get beyond the 256 character field limitation imposed by dbases such as Foxpro, Access, and the like. So I would like to believe I am overlooking some syntax requirement rather than encountering a program limitation. I am hoping a more seasoned Oracle user can shed some light on this problem. Thank you. Received on Sun Oct 08 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message