Re: insert into varchar2(750) fails with longish strings (250 plus)

From: Ira Hochman <ira_at_in-touch.com>
Date: 1995/10/09

The problem is SQL*Plus. Its line buffer is too small to hold the entire second line. Consequently SQL+ truncates the end of your line, removing the closing quote and paren (along with the ; thereby forcing you to enter it a second time).

Here is one solution:
Enter the string on several lines using CONCAT to cut the string into smaller segments.
e.g.
INSERT ...
VALUES(1,...,'Lots of Text-Lots of Text-Lots of Text' ||'-Lots of Text-Lots of Text-Lots of Text-Lots of Text' ||'-Lots of Text-Lots of Text-Lots of Text-Lots of Text' ...

and so forth.

Hope this helps.

From: Hagen Finley
<hagen_at_violet.berkeley.edu>...
>I am attempting insert long textual strings into a varchar2(750) column
>using SQL+ (WIN95 beta version). The insert works when I my string is
>shorter, but when I attempt to insert the entire string I wish to insert the
>insert fails complaining that the string was not properly terminated.
>SQL> INSERT INTO turning
> 2 VALUES (1, '36-37',1, 'The essence 1 of Enframing is that setting-upon
>gathered into itself which entraps the truth of its own coming to presence
>with oblivion .2 This entrapping disguises itself, in that it develops {Page
>37} into the setting in order of everything that presences as
>standingreserve, establishes itself in the standing-reserve, and rules as
>the standing-reserve.', 'none', 0,0);
> 3 ;
>VALUES (1, '36-37',1, 'The essence 1 of Enframing is that setting-upon
>gathered into itself which entraps the truth of its own coming to presence
>with oblivion .2 This entrapping disguises itself, in that it develops {Page
>37} into the setting in order of
>
>ERROR at line 2:
>ORA-01756: quoted string not properly terminated

>Note: 1) I have to enter the semi-colon twice in order to process the
>insert, and 2), the error message shortens the string such that the sentence
>ends with "in order of".

>I am hoping a more seasoned Oracle user can shed some light on this problem

Ira Hochman           Internet/WWW                 inTouch Technology Corp
ira_at_in-touch.com      Fax/IVR          Electronic Customer Support Systems
(617) 332-6800        SQL/GUI                      http://www.in-touch.com