PO7 Under Windows 95 Networking

From: Jgreene <jgreene_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/09/13

Just thought everyone might be interested in a preliminary report on my experiences trying to get a client server connection from a Windows 95 workstation to an Oracle server (in this case Windows NT). I spent a good bit of time trying to get the SQL*Net TCP/IP drivers supplied with the Personal Oracle 7 for Windows 95 beta working. No luck. Worse still, as with most client server installations, the error message translates into something like "Something, Somewhere is not Working". I sent an e-mail to Oracle and they indicated that there were problems between that SQL*Net under Windows 95 and the Microsoft Windows 95 TCP/IP stack. I have read reports from other users who indicate that the Novell TCP/IP stack might work (I suppose that is a Beta for Win 95 also).

I downloaded the Openlink ODBC drivers (Beta, once again) from their web site (www.openlink.co.uk) and tested them out. These drivers wrap ODBC and communications (i.e. SQL*Net) together in one package. The Win 95 client installed without a hitch, but I had to set the ORACLE_SID in the Openlink NT configuration file to get it to work, but I did get it to work. Their technical support was very helpful (unlike some vendors). I have not thoroughly tested the package, but thought that others might be interested in my results and might be able to confirm or refute my early data. Received on Wed Sep 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message