Re: Affect of table name order in SQL

From: Halvor F. Hantoh <halvorh_at_telepost.no>
Date: 1995/09/02

In article <DE8LyD.7A7_at_HAN.UnisysGSG.COM>, prompom_at_mcln.unisysgsg.com says...

>We have been tring to optimize some SQL statements and discovered that
>the order of the table names in the FROM clause affected the query time.
>I thought that Oracle would determine the best way to do the query;
>freeing us from deciding how to write the SQL statement. Has anyone
>else run across this problem?
>
>We are running Oracle 7.1 on an N.T. platform.
>
>Thanks
>prompom_at_mcln.unisysgsg.com

As you probably know, this is the way the good old Oracle6 rule-based optimizer worked. Check your init.ora-file, and make sure that the following parameters are correct:

OPTIMIZER_MODE
COMPATIBLE
COMPATIBLE_NO_RECOVERY Received on Sat Sep 02 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message