Re: Anyone ever seen ORA-00600

From: Peter Moore <pt_at_chaff.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/08/17

In article: <40uf0c$lh8_at_aggedor.rmit.EDU.AU> orafaq_at_bf.rmit.edu.au (Oracle FAQ) writes:

> IF YOU EVER GET AN ORA-0600 WRITE DOWN ALL THE MESSAGES, KICK EVERYONE
> OFF THE DATABASE, GRAB YOUR MOST RECENT BACKUP AND PROTECT IT WITH
 YOUR
> LIFE.

I don't really think you need to SCARE people, especially by SHOUTING.

Yes an ORA-00600 _can_ be very dangerous, but it can also be innocuous.

I currently get half-a-dozen ORA-00600 [17582] errors every day. It is a bug in the PL/SQL stack and, apart from inconveniencing the user who gets the error, it is not at all dangerous. The biggest pain is deleting all the .TRC files. I will soon be upgrading to 7.1.3 from 7.0.16 to get rid of these errors.

But, of course, an ORA-00600 _is_ an unknown error condition so you should call Oracle Support immediately. I don't think that you need to shut down the database as a reflex. You could end up losing an hour or more up-time, and up-time is money! :)

Regards,

Pete