Re: Stack Overflow on PO7

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/08/09

dwyche_at_giant.intranet.com (A little left of plumb) wrote:

>In article <400m8l$ju8_at_insosf1.netins.net>, mnehl_at_netins.net (Marcus F. Nehl)
>writes:
>> I get an application error, stack overflow when I start up my PO7.
>>
>> Oracle tech support says.. "Add more memory", one of my windows experts
>> says it won't help.
>>
>> My config is:
>>
>> Gateway2000 Pentium-90MHz
>> 16MB RAM
>> Adaptec PCI 2940 SCSI w/ 2.0 GB HD
>> Gateway2000 STB Trio 64 2MB local bus video card
>> SoundBlaster16
>> Mitsumi 4x CD-ROM

>PO7 doc's say that you can get stack overflows if you're using MS Sound
>System 2.0. just a shot in the dark...

>david

Yes that is true. To see if this is happening do the following:

You must go into system.ini (in \windows) and delete one entry in the line that contains "drivers= ...." , DELETE ONLY THE ENTRY "sndevnts.386". Leave the other entries there.

Try po7 then.

I have no idea what sndevnts.386 is or does. My system runs the same as it did before it. BTW, I couldn't use qemm386 with sndevnts.386 either. I had a bad time with ramdoubler before I took it out as well. Removing that one entry makes my entire windows environment much more stable. (btw, I *highly* recommend ramdoubler for windows. I can run infinitely more applications since it effectively doubles my dos, gdi, and user resources. I can get 15 to 20 things running at the same time including po7, forms4.5 designer and runtime, powerpoint, word, Oracle Office, tcp/ip, and so on.)

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government Received on Wed Aug 09 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message