Re: Cursors, rollback and Long Updates

From: Sudhir Kalapala <76740.501_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1995/08/05

Speaking of performance, PL/SQL especially with loops is extremely slow. (One write at a time -- physical movement
-- disk I/O). Also it is difficult to keep the TEMP table
in synch, if you trying on a real time. Use ProC, and arrays. If you fix the array size to 200, one call to disk I/O updates 200 rows. Phenominal improvement in speed.

Your other question, rolling back your data, should there be a problem. Use who columns,

created_by	number
creation_date	date
updated_by	number
update_date	date
last_update_login	number

as necessary. Especially if you are going to do this on a daily basis, you can rollback all insertes with last_update_date

  • sysdate (use truncs) We must know the previous values.

Hope this helps.

  • Sudhir