Re: Developer/2000 Portability

From: Russ Seligman <rseligma_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1995/07/31

In article <3v83is$kst_at_legend.txdirect.net> dcigary_at_txdirect.net (Gary Eckhardt) writes:
> bainbridge_i_at_perc03_at_bgers.co.uk (Ian Bainbridge) wrote:
>> Does this mean to deploy applications built using Developer/2000 then
>> *exact* same versions of runtime tools *must* be available on the target
>> platform ?
>
>Yes, that's what I understand about D2000. I believe that you could
>probably get by with simply having forms 4.5 on each platform, not the
>**EXACT** version (like 4.5.2)

The second part of this answer is correct, which means the first part is not.

No, you do *not* need the *exact* same versions of runtime tools on each platform. However, you will need to recompile your application on each runtime platform, which poses the following pitfall: If you use a Developer/2000 feature on one platform, and that feature is not available in the Developer/2000 version that you're using on another platform, then the application will not function correctly.

For example, suppose you use a new built-in subprogram in Forms 4.5.6 on Windows. You want to recompile the application on Unix, but the Unix version of Forms is 4.5.3, and it does not have that built-in. The compilation will fail, and the application will not work.

>What you also might want to keep in mind is something we found out
>about Oracle licensing for D2000. To get "unlimited runtime" for
>deploying across several platforms, you are required to buy at least
>one copy of D2000 for each platform. This fact really irked a client
>of ours that was duped into believing that you could get runtime
>modules for any platform simply by buying the D2000 platform for
>Windows. I guess this makes sense, Oracle wants to reap something
>from more software sales, but I think it's a little misleading
>advertising on their part.

I can't address how you feel you were mislead, but since you have to recompile an application on each deployment platform, you *need* the designer tools for each platform on which you want to deploy. This is a technical requirement, not a marketing one.

--Russ

Russ Seligman                 "If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe
Oracle Corporation             there's something wrong with the universe."
rseligma_at_us.oracle.com           --Beverly Crusher, ST:TNG