Re: Developer/2000 Portability

From: Gary Eckhardt <dcigary_at_txdirect.net>
Date: 1995/07/27

bainbridge_i_at_perc03_at_bgers.co.uk (Ian Bainbridge) wrote:

> Does this mean to deploy applications built using Developer/2000 then
> *exact* same versions of runtime tools *must* be available on the target
> platform ?

> How soon are these versions available on other platforms since Windows seems
> to the driving platform for new releases ?

> When will character mode 4.5 be available on VAX/VMS ?

Yes, that's what I understand about D2000. I believe that you could probably get by with simply having forms 4.5 on each platform, not the **EXACT** version (like 4.5.2)

What you also might want to keep in mind is something we found out about Oracle licensing for D2000. To get "unlimited runtime" for deploying across several platforms, you are required to buy at least one copy of D2000 for each platform. This fact really irked a client of ours that was duped into believing that you could get runtime modules for any platform simply by buying the D2000 platform for Windows. I guess this makes sense, Oracle wants to reap something from more software sales, but I think it's a little misleading advertising on their part.

The last I heard from Oracle on the avilability of D2000 on a Sun platform (Solaris 2.4) was September/October. Funny, it was July/August back in May. They really can't say when the Mac version will be available.

Gary Eckhardt              |   "in this day & age...music performed by
Database Consultants, Inc. |    humans...hum!?"  --wilde silas tomkyn
dcigary_at_txdirect.net       |
gary_eckhardt_at_realworld.com| R^3 = "Real World.  Real Smart.  Real Quick."
(210)930-2080              |   http://realworld.com/dciwww/dcihome.html