Re: Data Warehousing

From: <Gary>
Date: 1995/07/28

> clm_at_onramp.net (Cal Wooten) writes:
 <snip>
> I have seen the term "data warehousing" but have thought it to be another
> buzzword. Is there something more to this than good physical/logical design
> and backup strategies? What else should be considered as organizations
> encroach upon the terabyte range? Any thoughts or experiences you can share
> would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks alot.
>
> Cal Wooten

Cal,

You may have the term 'data warehousing' confused with another term. My last contract was in the role of Data Warehouse Technical Architect, and I can tell you that 'data warehousing' has nothing to do with re-organizing large databases for technical reasons. Data Warehousing fills a business need; that need is 'how do I get useful corporate-level information out of my operational database(s)'? In addition, it also answers the question 'How do I accomplish this without impacting the daily transactions that go in/out of my operational database(s)'?

I could write much more about the topic, but the topic has already been flogged to death (and probably better answered than the short 1-liner above), and it has nothing really to do with your storage management issue.

Regards,
Gary Wong Received on Fri Jul 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message