Re: Question regarding rollback segment

From: Tony Jambu <aaj_at_phantom.telecom.com.au>
Date: 1995/07/19

In article <3ugc29$p41_at_athos.cc.bellcore.com>, parris_at_walleye.esp.bellcore.com (Parris Geiser) writes:
> Thomas J Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
> > parris_at_walleye.esp.bellcore.com (Parris Geiser) wrote:

> > >William,
> > > The fact that your MAXEXTENTS is 505 indicates to me that there
> > > is a misunderstanding on your part regarding extents. So, to be
> > > sure your database is created properly (along with your tables)
> > > it would be helpful to supply the exact parameters that you are
> > > using.
> > > parris geiser

> > Why does that indicate a misunderstanding on his part? If they are using an
 8k
> > block size, I believe they will get 510 or so extents on that particular
 system.
> > Maxextents varies by platform (i know that 510 max with 8k block size on a
> > Pyramid for example works just fine).

> > Using a 16k block size would result in even more. The number of extents
 allowed
> > in a table is a function of the block size the database was created with.
 deleted

> ==============================SNIP=============================
> The reason that I believe this is that we are currently working on the
> exact same platform. The blocksize for the T500 is 2K. Oracle recommends
> that the database block size be the same size. So, I would suggest that
> he try that.
> parris

Parris

You must have a very small database or not a very active database running on the T500. The T500 is a good box.

Anyway, I can tell you that his (William D. Hankard's) database IS USING 8K without asking hime about it. With 7.x of Oracle you can specify a maxextent that is larger than the maximum possible eg 2 k is 121 and 8K is 505. So he is using 8K.

Now, before you disagree about the size he is using, may I suggest that you try using 4k blocks on your T500. It might just surprise you.

Sorry for not answering the original question. Just couldn't resist it. William, are there other users running against the database as your Pro*C program is running?

ta
tony

--
 _____       ________ / ___ |Tony Jambu, Database Consultant
  /_  _        /_ __ /      |Wizard Consulting,Aust (ACN 065934778)